More than 15 million Americans suffer from food allergies, sending one new patient to the emergency room every 3 minutes and food allergies affect more than the individual… they affect an entire community from caregivers to school teachers, event planners, restaurant owners, food manufacturers, and emergency responders.
Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization committed to creating awareness and educating doctors, patients, caregivers, educators, and many others affected by this rising public health concern, in addition to continuing to search for a cure.
In 2013, donations received by FARE were able to drive the following initiatives:
- An educational webinar series for families managing food allergies
- An online allergen awareness training program for restaurant workers
- National voluntary school food allergy guidelines via the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- 50,000 new patient packets distributed to allergists around the country
- Annual conferences, including a summit for teens
- Passing of the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act
- Utilization of the FARE Advocacy Action Center to influence public policies
- 20 new sites for the FARE Walk for Food Allergy
- A one-hour documentary airing on the Discovery Channel, narrated by Steve Carell.
- Launching of the “It’s Not a Joke” PSA campaign increasing awareness about food allergy bullying
- A Research Retreat, bringing together over 50 researchers, senior government officials, industry representatives, etc from around the world.
- Publishing of a “Vision Plan for Food Allergy Research”
- Groundwork for upcoming restaurant legislation and epinephrine stocking for emergency medical personnel
When you donate to Team Cookie, you’re helping further these causes and initiating more to come.