Can’t find candy corn free of the top 8 food allergens? Make your own! It’s easy and fun to do with little helpers the kitchen.
Homemade Candy Corn (egg free, nut free, vegan)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 5 tablespoons Soy Free Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- orange and yellow food coloring
- Mix powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
- Bring sugar, corn syrup, Earth Balance, and vanilla to boil over high heat.
- Reduce to medium and boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from heat, add dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Let stand until cool enough to handle, but still slightly warm (approximately 20 minutes).
- Divide into 3 equal pieces and knead yellow food coloring into one, while kneading orange food coloring into the other.
- Separate each ball of dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Recruit 3 little helpers to each handle one set of dough balls (keep the 4th for yourself).
- For each set, roll each piece into equal length ropes and lay out on wax paper (orange in the middle, white and yellow on the outside edges).
- Flatten and press the ropes together with a rolling pin.
- Using a spatula, cut each piece at alternating angles.
- Smooth out edges of each piece and allow to cool completely.
9 calories, 0.2g fat, <1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2.86mg sodium, 1.84g carbohydrates, 0g dietary fiber, 1.24g sugars, 0g protein
Copyright Â© 2014 Allergy Cookie. All Rights Reserved
Like this recipe? Browse more of our top 8 free recipes, then subscribe to our site and join our social network so you don’t miss anything new!
New to food allergies? Get started here.