When I first realized that I would have to prepare meals from scratch, I was especially overwhelmed with all of the casseroles, gravies and soups I wouldn’t be able to prepare because they called for canned cream of chicken soup. After creating this cream of chicken soup recipe, those worries became a thing of the past and so many meal opportunities have opened up now that I know how to whip up this delicious homemade cream of chicken base.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup (gluten free, dairy free, top 8 free)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 t. poultry seasoning
- 1/4 t. onion powder
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- 1/8 t. black pepper
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. parsley
- 1/8 t. paprika
- 1 1/2 cups Sunflower Dream _or other milk substitute*_
- 1/4 cup + 2 T. corn starch
- In a medium-sized saucepan boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and corn starch.
- Add the corn starch/milk mixture to the broth mixture.
- Continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.
140 calories, 0.6g fat, <1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 32g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, <1g sugars, 1g protein
*Different milk substitutes will affect the consistency and/or flavor of the soup, so keep this in mind and make adjustments as necessary.
Copyright Â© 2014 Allergy Cookie. All Rights Reserved
Like this recipe? Browse our other recipes, then subscribe to our site and join our social network so you don’t miss anything new!