This pie crust is sweet, tender, and flaky all at the same time! Besides being easy to make, it’s also free from of all of the top 8 food allergens, gluten, rice & corn. Enjoy!
The Perfect Pie Crust (gluten free, vegan, top 8 free)
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free baking flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 T. Soy Free Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup + 1 T. palm shortening
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 to 4 T. ice water
- Measure Earth Balance & shortening, slice into cubes, and chill in freezer 5 to 10 min.
- Mix flour, salt, & sugar.
- Cut in Earth Balance & shortening, leaving visibly large chunks of shortening and Earth Balance.
- Sprinkle in vanilla and ice water (1 T. at time until mixture can barely be pressed together without falling apart). Keep the dough as cold as possible during this process (use chilled utensils and avoid touching with warm hands).
- Form into ball & refrigerate at least one hour.
- Roll between two pieces parchment paper.
- Remove top layer of parchment and flip into pie plate.
- Press into pie plate.
- Chill in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove parchment.
- Trim and flute edges.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or chill in freezer 10 -15 minutes.
- Poke with fork and bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to 350 and bake additional 15 minutes or (for a pie that requires baking wrap aluminum foil around fluted edges, fill with pie filling and bake pie as directed, removing the foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking to allow edges of crust to brown.
- For a recipe that calls for an unbaked pie crust, simply skip steps 13 & 14.
Copyright Â© 2014 Allergy Cookie. All Rights Reserved